Thursday, October 23, 2008

My life..online

Bob Sprankle wrote an interesting article the other day called Who-ogle Are You...
since I think about this ALL the time, and it is time for my reflective "birthday post" I thought I would take time to reflect on my life on line and how much it has really come to mirror my personal and professional life.

Bob raised some interesting questions about when folks switched from a pseudonym to real identity online and what we should be teaching kids. I started using groups as someone else, but never really felt like "myself" as a result. over the past 3 years I have attended and trained at the PA Keystone Summit, worked as a Classrooms for the Future coach, attend Discovery Educator Network conferences regionally and Nationally, PETE & C and several NECC conferences. I feel blessed that I have gotten a chance to meet quite a number of remarkable folks face to face...to sit across the dinner table or in the blogger's cafe and have some incredible conversations about education, learning, and LIFE! I wanted to be able to continue these conversations, to meet who they were talking to, and to learn MORE! I appreciate when folks use their "real self" avatars and remember last winter approaching Diana Laufenberg at educon to "introduce" myself..yet I felt like I already knew her "story" so well from "following her" online. I have to admit, the of someone "following me" was kind of creepy at first, because I had those warnings that I shouldn't reveal my identity online...but the more I got to know others online, and the more opportunities I had to meet folks face to face the more I realized the power and value of these online relationships. Trying to maintain ONE online identity I have been able to find my "friends" no matter what new group or tools I try sure...and my friends find me...

Some people meet Kristin Hokanson and use @khokanson to stay connected. Some get to know @khokanson for the things I write online. I am a pretty transparent person so what I represent online is who I am...I don't feel the need to keep separate identities and to wake up on my birthday to this many wishes via email, skype, twitter, facebook, and face to face or cell phone calls is a good visual of the power of the network.


So to all my friends...thanks for the birthday wishes. I am glad that you are a part of my life!

3 comments:

  1. I hope you had a wonderful birthday! Maybe someday we will meet f2f!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know I never really thought about my online identity much until I had an extended conversation with Steve Hargadon. Fifer1863 has become my persona and it ties me to my passion of the Civil War. I too have found it fun to meet people and introduce myself as @fifer1863 or to finally put a face to a screen name.

    Have a great day.

    Jim
    Teaching the Civil War with Technology
    http://www.teachthecivilwar.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny how I identify the 2 of you with your persona's...Although I only know one of you face 2 face I feel that I KNOW you both so well...
    Thanks for stopping to leave a comment

    @loonyhiker ;-) perhaps we can get you up for Educon

    ReplyDelete