Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Cooking with Jeff and learning Chinese from Shanghai

Wednesdays have gone from "hump day" to my favorite day of the week...
WHY? Cooking with Jeff of course
Each Wednesday evening in Shanghai, Jeff Utecht's wife has her Chinese lesson while Jeff cooks dinner. Through twitter, Jeff changes his avatar to a chef and folks from around the world follow along as Jeff outlines the steps to his evening meal. Mind you, I am following this at about 5 am EST as I am getting ready to start MY Wednesday...and when the meal sounds good, I stop at the store, pick up the ingredients and "cook along". This morning Paul Harrington actually suggested Jeff live stream the preparation. hmmmm.....live streaming a "cooking show" from China.....

Sound silly? Sure it does. Until you stop and think about the implications. How cool would it be to look into the kitchen of someone in China as they prepare their evening meal. To have that lesson recorded so that as I am preparing the same meal, I have something to follow. Or better yet...let Jeff continue to "tweet" his prep....I'd love to "sit in" on his wife's Chinese lesson via ustream.tv or some other application. To be able to enjoy the accent, the culture of a learning experience from another part of the world.

And speaking of how things are different around the world this conversation was floating around my network today...

Lots of school closures today in America! Let it snow let it snow let it snow!

Why has your school closed? My list: snow, earthquake, typhoon, terrorism, King died, water pipe breakage...what's yours?
Your list is more interesting than mine. Snow, power outage, gas main break.
chemical spill in the science lab...that's a new one. :)

Yes, my eyes have really been open to the way things are around the world and while I have physically visited very few places outside of the US,
my network has REALLY caused me to think about the world, world issues, and the future in different ways.

Now, If we can start to do that for our kids...

Powered by ScribeFire.

1 comment:

  1. Kristin,

    LOL...it's funny how this stupid idea I had one Wednesday has turned out to be so much fun. I'm at the point now where I stress over what I'm going to make on Wednesday. My wife and I actually had to go to the store this pass weekend to make sure I had everything for the tacos....LOL. Tacos from Shanghai...somethings not right here. :)

    I'm thinking of the ustream.tv that would be fun. Might have to do that in the future. Would love to ustream a Chinese lesson only my wife is camera shy and she'd hate that...but as you know from the kitchen we could over hear the lesson. :)

    Anyway, thanks for following along. For the first time in my life I actually look forward to cooking. The power of the network strikes again.

    See you Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete